Re: [Phys-L] Garth Paltridge: Climate Change’s Inherent Uncertainties

On 2014, Feb 05, , at 11:38, LaMontagne, Bob <RLAMONT@providence.edu> wrote:

I am shocked by this. It took a full 8 hours for someone to handwave off Ze'ev's posting because the source of the article was found to be a "conservative" publication. I also found it odd that Paltrige's credentials weren't somehow immediately challenged - after all, who's ever heard of CSIRO?

Sarcasm?

Perhaps the response was a little slow today because many of us are out shoveling snow from our driveways.

Our recent rain is a “drop in the bucket” compared to what we need.

Our drought is an approximately 200+ year one, and we're back to spring temperature.

Bob at PC
(Enjoying a day off due to a snowstorm)

Perhaps no peer reviewed journal would publish it because it doesn’t conform to their frame(s).

I experienced this. My didst. advisor sent our paper to a well known journal (I think an APS one.) --wish I’d kept the rejection letter. So he sent it to an IOP one where he'd published before.

The curious thing is their reason was our pressure was an order higher than a recent published similar for vacuum deposition. They evidently didn’t read it beyond that, as our deposition was complete in a few seconds while the others were many minutes, so our contamination was much less. Furthermore we compared the sharpness of the ferromagnetic transition to other published values. Ours was the best, i.e. complete in a fraction of a degree while others was over a degree. The resistance ratios much higher also!

bc