Re: [Phys-L] Another Fluid/Density 'Problem'

Great, tough question! Actual "modern" as I saw it in a book in recent
years. I forget the name, but I think I have it somewhere at school. If
anyone wants to know, I can find out. The answer has to do with the forces
coming from the slanted bottle neck.

In my opinion, this is very difficult for kids. Best as a demo or bonus
question. Remember that kids don't think like us. Most never will unless
they become teachers. And even then, it takes years to fully grasp physics
concepts. We must appropriately challenge students, and this comes with
experience.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
I’m not sure my students would have accepted this as an explanation of
how there can now be greater fluid force acting on the bottom of the
bottle.

Where did the extra force ‘come from’?