Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: animal magnetism?

http://www.nature.com/news/the-mystery-of-the-magnetic-cows-1.9350

There has been other work--apparently inconclusive with other animals. I have wondered about the cows ever since driving through Eastern Colorado ahead of a major electrical storm and noticed that the cattle had all congregated in groups and seemed all to be oriented in the same direction. This might have been a wind effect, but have always wondered if they had some kind of instinct to align themselves relative to the electrical fields near storms. While 4-legged animals have little chance when lightning strikes nearby--an orientation of the closer left/right legs versus the farther front/back legs could possibly have a slight advantage for survival. However, I don't even know if the location/direction of potential lightning strikes has any relationship to field conditions ahead of a storm. Also wondering.

rwt