Re: [Phys-L] abstract algebra and physics?

Hi -

If someone truly enjoys abstract algebra and group theory, and isn't
particularly inclined to experimental work, I would think that working in
theoretical condensed matter or elementary particle physics would be a very
good fit for this student. Both fields offer substantial possibility of
working with models that apply group theory. Students that I have who are
aiming for graduate work in either condensed matter or particle physics I
usually try to convince to take our Math Department's courses in abstract
algebra, and they have found it helpful and enjoyable.

Todd