Re: [Phys-L] book versus video versus lecture

Hi,

just a couple of thought regarding the use of a video in teaching physics. I occasionally show an interesting video related to the topic we discuss. However, it is never a substitute to the lesson. I try to choose video clips which add to teaching: for instance, after dealing with radioactive decay, fission, and fusion I might show a 10-minute clip of a documentary on the atomic bomb in Hiroshima or Bikini atollis. Or I might show a video clip from a black hole documentary after discussing various fates stars undergo. In addition, there are some nice short clips from the Simpsons which illustrate physics. Of course, there is a strong component of entertainment but also there are some aspects added to "plain" physics. It is not harmful to have some fun during the lessons :-).

In my opinion, watching Khan Academy videos (or equivalent) is useful, if one uses a flipped classroom approach, or for students who have been absent from lessons.

Regards,

Antti
Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.