Re: [Phys-L] NYT on GMOs

Interesting, and quite possibly true. We all are good at justifying what we want to justify -- just look at the response from Houston full of "understanding" and "problems with the way we treat foodstuffs" etc. Or look at the recent kerfuffle here over AGW. If you really look at it, nobody disagreed much with the actual "science" -- arguments were about the political implications of that science and who should we trust (being unable to do the science itself).

Another similar change based on politics rather than science can be seen with the "greens" attitude toward nuclear. Twenty and thirty years ago nuclear was from the Devil for them. Now that wind and solar are pushed in the name of AGW many seem to change their tune. After all, some realize it is better to "despoil" 100 acres than 100 million acres.

My point? We are not completely rational animals on both sides of the political spectrum, and I am not even sure we'd like the results if we were all truly rational. Including on this list (smile).

As I've said. Pot, meet kettle.