Re: [Phys-L] Legitimate Phys-L topics.

On 01/04/2014 05:36 PM, Richard Tarara wrote:
I just want to briefly (hah) argue that discussions about teaching
H.S. and Gen-Ed physics and communicating science (and about science)
to the general public are legitimate topics for this list. The
esoteric, grad-level topics (which almost any topic seems to morph
into) are fine, but hopefully these have not driven away all but the
die-hard High School teachers or those like me who teach intro and
gen-ed courses at the College level. Wrapping up a 35 year career I
can attest to the fact that the Gen-Ed courses--those for the
artists, philosophers, English majors, etc. --are at one and the same
time the most difficult and the most important to teach. In these,
whether the electrons move along the outside or inside of a conductor
is of absolutely no importance, but getting across what science does
know, how it knows it, and indeed what the limits of that knowledge
actually are is crucial if students are to make reasoned
political/economic/moral decisions in the future when scientific
issues play crucial roles--Climate Change just being one example.

That's all perfectly reasonable.

There may however be some room for discussion as to /how/ those
goals might best be achieved.

FWIW, I interact with butchers, bakers, candlestick-makers,
musicians, mechanics, farmers, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and
native-American chiefs. Some of them get all their climate-
change information from Faux News, and some don't.

As I see it, the limits of scientific knowledge are not set
by -- or even indicated by -- a bunch of propaganda videos
put out by non-scientists.

Also, as I have stated previously, we agree that the question
of where the steering charges sit within an electrical circuit
is irrelevant to the gen-ed audience. I might add, FWIW, that
it is equally irrelevant to 99% of electrical engineering.

Continuing the analogy, it seems to me that fussing over details
of what goes on in Antarctica is equally irrelevant to the big
picture of anthropogenic climate change. Just because some
propagandist lays a trap does not mean we are obliged to step
into it, let alone lead the whole class into it.

If the Koch brothers hated electrical engineering, I reckon
they would pay the Heartland Institute to make a huge stink
about steering charges, but fortunately it hasn't come to
that.

If you want people to see what science knows, have them read an
actual scientific report prepared by actual scientists. Start
with the 12 enumerated points in this appendix:
http://ncadac.globalchange.gov/download/NCAJan11-2013-publicreviewdraft-appendix2-climateprimer.pdf

It's less than two pages in a big font -- about 500 words --
written in plan English. Reading at this level is an admission
requirement at every college I've ever heard of. And even if
it weren't, you ought to make it a requirement for passing the
gen-ed course. The report doesn't have the glitzy production
values of a well-made propaganda video ... but IMHO part of
growing up is learning that the right answer doesn't always
come in a glitzy package.

If they want to know what we know /and/ something about how we
know it, they can read the rest of the appendix (77 pages) or
the rest of the report (1200 pages).

Last but not least, if you want them to know how science is done,
start by setting a good example of logical reasoning. That
does not include watching N propaganda videos and splitting the
difference. That also does not include finding some guy whose
"tone" you don't like and doing the opposite of whatever he says.
Again: the right answer doesn't always come in an attractive
package.