Re: [Phys-L] just for fun

John D says:
a) Sorry, I'm not seeing the irony. Due to abnormal warming,
an immense sheet of old, hard, thick ice broke up elsewhere
and was carried by an abnormal series of storms to the bay
where the ship is.

I haven't heard that explanation for the difficulties. Do you have some sources for "abnormal warming" in the region this year, and that the ice came from "elsewhere" due to "abnormal storms"?

I ask because Antarctica has seen an increasing trend in sea ice, capped by a record this year for the most sea ice ever in the 35 years of satellite measurement. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/09/23/antarctic-sea-ice-hit-35-year-record-high-saturday/). Currently, there is still above-average ice all along the coast nearest Australia and NZ where the ship was. (http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/S_bm_extent_hires.png)

That would suggest that extra ice this year is not some anomalous sheet blown in, but the typical conditions in the entire region this year.