Re: [Phys-L] just for fun

I think you are underballing those events. They were not "just mistakes," which do happen all the time. These were not accepted truths at a fringe as you claim, but at the mainstream of medical and governmental rule making, with huge impacts for school nutrition and promoting medical interventions on a large segment of the population. These were cases of very strong consensus heavily promoted by the Surgeon General and major national medical associations.

Today's AGW consensus is not any stronger. It just has so much more money behind it to paint its critics as "deniers" rather than critics. And the AGW "consensus" does not need to be "flatly wrong" to be wrong. If there is some warming but it is not anthropogenic, there is less need to investigate it to death and no need to impose onerous economic sanctions on large segments of the economy to pretend to minimize it. If the global warming itself is simply temporary and caused by natural fluctuations of something, constraining economic growth might be actually destructive in that it eliminates funds that could be dedicated to alleviating its effects rather than constrain its putative (albeit politically correct) cause.

A year ago I mentioned the radiation LNT model (as opposed to radiation hormesis) as another one lacking strong scientific substantiation yet promoted by politically-correct attitude that burdens nuclear energy construction and cleanup with huge developmental and regulatory costs. That has been with us for more than half a century.

Ze'ev