Re: [Phys-L] Bernoulli's equation

Bernoulli often comes up in discussions of laminar versus turbulent flow. I have no web links but I recall from a previous life that in oil well completions the condition of laminar flow is important. In oil well fracturing huge volumes of acid are often sent down the well's tubing. If the flow is laminar then a boundary layer builds up that protects the tubing from the acid. But if the acid is pumped too quickly the boundary layer is destroyed, fresh acid comes in contact with the tubing and the tubing is rapidly corroded resulting in holes in inappropriate places. Things like pipe bends and type of pumps used becomes important to insure that the flow stays in a laminar regime. A common way to determine if you have laminar versus turbulent flow is simply to watch for departures from Bernoulli's equation.

Dan

On Dec 16, 2014, at 12:00 PM, phys-l-request@www.phys-l.org wrote:

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 20:23:50 -0500
From: "Anthony Lapinski" <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org>
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Subject: [Phys-L] Bernoulli's equation

I was trying to find some practical/relevant problems involving Bern eqn,
rather than the typical "plug and chug" problems, where the gauge pressure
and speed are given in one location and the task is to find the pressure
elsewhere if the speed (or height) is known. Anyone know of some good web
resources for these?

While I was searching, I came across this: