Re: [Phys-L] 9th grade energy resource projects

On 2014, Dec 09, , at 09:48, Bill Nettles <bnettles@uu.edu> wrote:

The corollary to this would be that the more lights you connect in parallel, the harder you have to pedal to keep them bright. I don't know if there are any simple torque sensors available so making measurements of this effect would be a good challenge.

Reminds me of the question posed on an horological list: The energy “contained” in a wound clock’s main spring.

I attached a rod to the winding key, and used a spring gauge to measure the force. From the lever arm the number of turns, etc. AND a crude integration from measuring the increased torque every several turns found the E. Much greater than I expected, and explains why horologists warn when releasing the pawl of a wound spring to “take great care”!

So a lever arm attached to the bicycle’s crank or just simply put a weight on the pedal.

bc