Re: [Phys-L] 9th grade energy resource projects

I've always wanted to build the bicycle generator demo, where the faster
you pedal, the more lights turn on. So this relates mechanical work/energy
to electrical energy.

Are there kits/parts for these online? the generator? the bulb hookup
apparatus?

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Greetings all!

The physics team at Kirkwood high school is interested in having students
learn about energy resources via a project. While some of the teachers
have done slide shows, etcetera, we are interested in thinking outside
the box.
Our students all have iPads and the school is blessed with a large store
room of equipment. We are open to trying new things, and I personally
would love a challenge the students have to 'solve'. (I love the
spreadsheet of energy resources that I think dr. Forinash has used).
We also need a way for the students to both share what they learned and
assess what they learned from what the other students share.

Anybody got a project they would love to see happen / already use? We
would love to hear about it!

Thanks,

Jim Cibulka
Kirkwood high school
Kirkwood missouri

Btw, this will occur after a modeling instruction style unit on
mechanical energy.