Re: [Phys-L] The Impulse Momentum Theorem

What does "better results" mean?

I prefer teaching momentum after energy so I can analyze energy
losses in collisions. This works very well.

Similarly, I teach circular motion/gravitation after forces,
and projectile motion after motion.

Not sure if there is a "preferred" topic order for mechanics.

I imagine some teachers start the year with forces.
We each have our own comfort level and teaching style.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
According to Priscilla Laws they found that they get better results if
momentum is done before energy. This has been dubbed the "new" mechanics
sequence and is now incorporated in some texts.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX