From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Moses Fayngold
Sent: Monday, 3 November, 2014 10:59 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] relativistic acceleration of an extended object

Ken,

Thank you for correcting my elementary blunder (omitting the factor (1/2) in x(t) = x0+(1/2)at^2). As to the whole expression itself (with this factor included!), it is definitely correct under conditions that I have specified - the fixed reference frame (RF) and fixed time-independent acceleration a.

I was not discussing the motion of a real physical body, but the motion of a point under given acceleration. This was only to show in the simplest possible way that in the specified RF two separate points starting from rest and undergoing the same acceleration program along the initial separation line, will remain at the same distance from each other. This is general, purely mathematical argument having nothing to do with relativity as long as we consider the process in the same inertial RF (regarding integrations, see also Appendix F in my book indicated before).
As the one who worked on and taught relativity, including its effects as observed from accelerated RF, I am not against using a set of instantly co-moving RF. But I am also free to use the RF I have used - according to relativity, it enjoys equal rights with all others, and it is also quite natural to use in the given problem. It is natural to observe from Earth the motion and behavior of a spacecraft launched from Earth, regardless of how large its final speed might be. All my initial comment was that in such RF, conserving the shape of the spacecraft requires equal, not different, accelerations of its parts. And of course, one should not confuse the shape as observed from given RF with the proper shape. The latter will definitely change under conditions specified in my comments.

If you do have a chance to look through my book and find any errors, please, let me know. I already found a lot (so far, purely technical), which is quite natural for the first edition of a book of this size. If it comes to the next edition, I want to make it more correct and less verbose.

Best,
Moses Fayngold
NJIT