[Phys-L] Goodhart's Law

A former student of mine pointed me at this (from Wikipedia):

*Goodhart's law* is named after the banker who originated it, Charles Goodhart <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Goodhart>. Its most popular formulation is: "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure."

While Goodhart was talking about banking regulations, it made me think of the FCI. Whatever it measures, maybe it only works if I ignore it...just thinking out loud.