Re: [Phys-L] problems with the teaching of algebra

Is this example meant to be ironic? Which of these kids is going to learn fractions today? :)

More seriously, though: if you believe that it is important that elementary school teachers can do a little algebra, putting one or two items on a multiple choice test is not going to make that happen. You'd be better off requiring that they have one college level course in a subject that uses algebra, one that they'd be unlikely to pass without that minimal level you were hoping to see.