Re: [Phys-L] problems with the teaching of algebra

I think bc is somewhat wrong here.

CBEST is needed for elementary teachers and it does NOT require algebra. None of the examples at the link requires algebra either.

CSET (http://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/test_info_CSET.asp?t=111) is required for single-subject teachers, and it requires algebra and more. But most elementary teachers do not take the CSET in math.

Incidentally, I do agree with much of what JD wrote on this issue (I'm not sure I agree with the "sequencing" being an big issue).

Ze'ev