Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics : electronic privacy requires physics, not just algorithms

On 2013, Sep 29, , at 18:22, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

That's where physics comes in. The laws of physics guarantee
that any electrical resistor will always produce a certain
amount of thermal noise, i.e. Johnson noise. This is a
guaranteed lower bound on the amount of noise. You measure
the temperature and the resistance and the bandwidth, and
then you can calculate a reliable lower bound.

Please do not tell me about radioactivity. Guess what?
I've already thought of that. As a source of randomness,
it is in no way better and in many ways worse than Johnson
noise.

I have an MPT module which created noise to block enemy RADAR. I presume at that time (WW II) it was less difficult than an amp. and a grid resistor.

bc wonders if JD is thinking of dead time as a limitation of radioactivity as a noise source.