Re: [Phys-L] Mesmerizing

On 9/16/2013 3:23 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

On 2013, Sep 16, , at 12:37, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net <mailto:betwys1@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:

It is true that a few papers have contradicted the early work: using [non-]synchrony of cohabiting lesbians: [non-]synchrony of Israeli athletes for example, but I offer you a review from an early pioneer, who did NOT rely on anecdotes about male scientists' spouses aggregated to a published paper (!!): that of Martha McClintock (1998)

<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10532528.1998.10559927#preview>

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

[bc]
This bio includes the contrary work w/out requiring time consuming log on to "my" library.

Martha McClintock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_McClintock>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_McClintock

bc wonders if his presence at three women's home disrupted their reported synchronicity. (ca 1976)

Allow me to include the beginning of the Abstract for the 1994 H Clyde Wilson paper (Anthropology, U Miss-Columbia) on which the Wiki refutation depends:

"Two experiments and three studies reported a significant level of menstrual synchrony after subjects had been treated with applications of axillary extract from a donor subject or after subjects have spent time together. Four studies failed to replicate these results. A comparison of the studies shows the only consistent difference is that those studies not finding menstrual synchrony reported problems with subjects who had irregular cycle lengths, while those finding menstrual synchrony reported no such problems. All experiments and studies were based on the methods and research design introduced by McClintock (1971). Three errors are inherent in research based on her model: (1) an implicit assumption that differences between menses onsets of randomly paired subjects vary randomly over consecutive onsets...."

<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/030645309290016Z>

Putting it in terms that may be more familiar:
"It will not be possible to synchronize cyclic phenomena whose Q is sufficiently low."
As to Error 1) mentioned there - if anyone can translate this to terms I can understand, I will be grateful.

Applying parity to the dialog, I should offer the Wiki bio for H Clyde Wilson Jr., who died in 2010. This WW2 naval officer who became mayor of Columbia was involved in the early testing of the (killed) Salk vaccine.

Reference to the Salk Polio Vaccine Wiki will show that Wilson was no stranger to disputed field trials on humans.
"After the success of the field trials, the Salk vaccine was put into widespread use. Unfortunately, one improperly manufactured batch of the vaccine caused polio in a number of children, and the vaccination program was temporarily halted . By the early 1960s, the Sabin live-strain virus had been perfected and soon replaced the Salk vaccine.

Salk was at once lionized by the public and the media and criticized by other scientists, who felt that he had rushed the development of the vaccine for the sake of personal glory (and to beat Sabin).

In an invited review article [1] for the Journal of the American Statistical Association in 1955, shortly after the trials, KA Brownlee did not mince words in his scathing criticism of the original observed control experiment, referring to the design as "stupid and futile," and the results as "worthless.".... "

Brian Whatcott Altus OK