Re: [Phys-L] passive or active voice

I was taught never to use the passive in the fifties (prep. school) (except when quoting an ignorant person). I use the passive when wishing to hide information, i.e. Who done it.

The syllabus (until I changed it) at UCSC explained the only time to use it is in a lab. report; explaining that who cares who collected the data..

Not doing the research I suspect UK journals expect passive, while US's are moving to the personal, especially the "The Physics Teacher".

The non-peer review journal Horological Science Newsletter, except for copies of other journals' papers, is nearly always very personal including musings.

bc writes " I " in his submissions.

p.s. It wan't until a friend at Keele (N. Staffs. Eng.) explained that Y is the letter thorn and pronounced th. So I've begun writing (not typing) Yat, Ye, yese, etc.

Thorn (letter) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_(letter)

Ye Olde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde

More: What about when the paper has a dozen authors?