Re: [Phys-L] Where is the sky?

General issue: "Seeing" is overly privileged, as in "seeing is believing"
etc. One of the very important developments in recent centuries was the
search for tools to make measurements that would be unaffected by the
complex ways we humans manipulate visual images.

You may know of the many psychology experiments which demonstrate how
unreliable eye-witness testimony is (which of course involves more than
just seeing, but that's a part of it). I once had an illuminating
conversation with a lawyer who explained that our layman's tendency to
discredit "mere circumstantial evidence" is precisely backwards.
Eye-witness testimony can be entirely useless, whereas what the law means
by circumstantial evidence is the strong kind, such as fingerprints, dents
in cars, scratches on bullets, sudden changes in bank deposits, etc.

Bruce