Re: [Phys-L] Where is the sky?

John Denker's 3-D vs 2-D post brought to mind a "silly science spoof" that I saw on one of the late night shows (Kimmel, I believe, but may have been Leno. It wasn't Letterman). An actor had set up a booth on the street promoting "3-D glasses" which were actually cheap sunglasses that had some fancy label on them, along with flashy posters, etc, at the booth. I was laughing at all the people who claimed that "yes, I can see 3D now. This is really cool." Then I realized they were probably get much better contrasts among the objects they were viewing because the glasses had some coloration that would "color-shift" the brain, plus the overall light levels in a city of white high-rises is probably overwhelming, so the glasses were reducing intensity and glare. They probably WERE seeing better 3D.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Bob
Sciamanda
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:51 PM
To: PHYS-L
Subject: [Phys-L] Where is the sky?

How is it that the blue sky of scattered sunlight appears to come from a
highly localized source confined to a distant hemispherical surface? Does not
the entire atmosphere participate in this scattering?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/