Re: [Phys-L] feedback control for zero output

On 8/7/2013 3:55 PM, Carl Mungan wrote:
I have a device I'm trying to construct in which I want to null all the
light coming out one port and have it all go out another port. However, the
light is very intense, so I don't want to sample the "on" port. I'd rather
have a detector monitoring the "off" port to use as the feedback signal.
But the problem is "off" isn't a very good condition to monitor. (It's very
subject to noise.)

Is there a way to build a feedback control using a null as input? I tried
googling various terms and couldn't find a good starting point to get me
thinking about this stuff productively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Carl

Unless the quality of the light to be nulled is very dynamic, you will presumably be
specifying leading parameters of the light beam which you are to null.
In this case, a filter centered on parameters of the light beam being nulled,
say its frequency, repetition rate etc., will enhance leakage amplitude of the light
being nulled at the OFF port and suppress off frequency noise components (??)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK