Re: [Phys-L] quickest route

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:19 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] quickest route

[snip]

Guessing i.e. hypothesizing is fine, but then we need to /check/ the
hypothesis. When I do the check, I find that the times are equal for a 3:4:5
triangle, i.e. θ = 36.87° ... and also equal for θ = 90° ... but not otherwise!
Generalizing from these two examples doesn't work. For details, see below.

[snip]

I assume no friction, including no air friction and no sliding
friction. Therefore the spherical cow does not roll; it merely
slides along the path without rolling. I did not use the word
"roll" in the original problem statement. As David Bowman points
out, analyzing a realistic rolling motion would be messier.

Not really that messy if one rolls on plane surfaces. Because the actual value of g falls out of the problem, any object which accelerates down the plane like K*g* sin(theta), where K is some constant depending on the details, and K*g for the straight down part will have equal times at tan(theta) = 0.75 or theta = 36.87... Spheres or disks which roll without slipping have such an acceleration.