Re: [Phys-L] The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

On 2013, Jul 19, , at 06:37, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I am not comfortable that faced with an instructional approach from Anthony L. intended to help student insight, John D. responded with a counter-example likely to confound student (and probably instructor) expectations. This reminds me of trial lawyer dialog rather than physics instruction dialog.

Rather than drifting away from two media behavior in a shifting gravity vector by citing a three media experiment in a shifting gravity vector, it would have been more relevant to note the behavior of a spherical low density wood ball in a transparent box COMPLETELY filled with water. That, I suggest, has some comparability to the spirit level and helium balloon models

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I've not followed closely -- but I've done the He balloon in 'bile around corner. Yes it does move to the center of curvature, but my intuition tells me that if the far windows are open it likely will move oppositely (out with the air). The floating object on the pan has two effects. If the water is allowed to drain out the rear so will the wood otherwise the water piles up on the rear wall, and the wood may float forward. May as there are the two forces: the tilted water and the oppositely directed inertia (moving frame, force).

bc worried.