Re: [Phys-L] Fun in learning Was: The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

Oh, there's plenty of frustration in my class. That comes with peer
instruction ("think-pair-share"). After I teach a bit, we do sample
multiple choice questions in class. They vote with their fingers, etc. I
think most of you know what I'm talking about. Lots of good feedback with
this technique. It really challenges their notions about what they know
and/or what they were just taught (e.g., avg speed vs avg velocity). I
began this about five years ago, and it has revolutionized how I teach and
how my students learn. And it makes them ultimately responsible for their
own learning as they have to talk with each other when there are
disagreements.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:

While I also like to do fun things, and my students and I do MANY fun
things in
class; I think it's also important that students experience and learn to
work through
challenges and frustration, as part of preparing them to be successful in
life.
At first, with a lot of support then tapering support off.
I think we do our students a disservice if we avoid frustrating them at
times.

My analogy would be working out at the gym -- you can't be serious
without hard
work and effort, and there is a "burn" when you tire your muscles.
Similarly I think
there is a "burn" when you are changing your brain while learning
physics.
Changing your brain hurts and is tiring, though when you "get it" clearly
you get
a dopamine reward (as well as the joy of insight).

My question would be more generally -- what roles do student frustration
and
struggle play with learning physics? And how can we appropriately foster
and support appropriate levels of student frustration?

Dan M

PS -- for the record, I'm not anti-fun.

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
462SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 1-716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator & NSF Investigator for ISEP (MSP) and Noyce

On Jul 12, 2013, at 9:40 AM, "Anthony Lapinski"