Re: [Phys-L] The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

I do math for all topics as it is essential. But concepts must come first.
For example, for the first topic (Motion), I do constant velocity
concepts, math (d = vt), and lab (running races outside). Then
acceleration concepts, math, and lab (cars on tracks). Then freefall
concepts, math, and lab (dropping objects). Each of the ten topics takes
about three weeks, enough to fill the entire academic year.

In fact, some of the most challenging math problems for this topic involve
d = vt -- the most basic equation in physics. For example, something like
this:

A race car must average 300 km/h for ten laps to qualify for a race.
Because of engine trouble, the car averages only 250 km/h for the five
laps. If the track is 3 km long, what average speed must be maintained for
the remaining five laps?

If this were for my honors students, I would omit the 3 km. Of course, we
do sample problems like this in class. But some still find these problems
challenging on the test. Books don't do many problems like this. The focus
is more on constant acceleration and freefall problems.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Anthony,

I like the sentiment.

How far are you able to push them to do quantitative analysis?
Conceptual physics is a good start. There are some really good "aha!"
moments to be found in the process of crunching the numbers.

Paul

On Jul 12, 2013, at 8:40 AM, "Anthony Lapinski"