Re: [Phys-L] The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

Glad you mentioned that, Paul, about the "aha" moments of doing the math. It's an interesting thing to watch a student who professes to be very weak in math (the usual opening day statement is, "I can't do math.") and after some effort they find they can actually read a physics problem and figure out how to attack it, then go ahead and solve it. There is a look like, "WOW! I actually did this." Once that barrier is overcome I find their whole attitude changes, often overnight. It takes a lot of effort, but that's why I teach there.