Re: [Phys-L] The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

Thanks for sharing. I'm in high school, so physics can/should be fun. I'm
fortunate to be a private school, so I set my own pace/curriculum. And no
discipline issues. Not much red tape. I want kids to remember all the fun
things we do. Maybe it will inspire some to go into physics. Few ever do.

By the way, I should your Leno videos every year -- lots of fun!!

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Anthony,
I think I understand what you are trying to say, and it is obvious and
much appreciated that you are a dedicated teacher, of that I have no
doubt but, I didn't write that demos should not be fun. Right now I'm
working at Silver Dollar City, in MO trying to present a "fun" show of
Physics demo's. Three shows a day, six days a week, but I'm not kidding
myself that I'm doing a whole a lot of educating. My objective is to try
to engender an interest in the sciences, especially in the young, but do
my actual classes have to be "fun", and is completing a mnemonic a
compelling reason to try to always make my classes "fun"? I can make my
student's laugh pretty much any time I wish to, but is this necessary,
and should we expect that all teachers should do this? I suspect my
situation is different than yours, I teach Physics to prospective
engineers at the university level, not high school. I have a lot of
respect for those who teach high school. I do not think I would handle
that task well, too much red tape and too much time just trying to keep
order. Bottom line, I want my engineers to be able to do the necessary
math correctly and whether they have fun is a secondary consideration. I
have a degree in education, as well as two in Physics, but I don't
remember taking any classes teaching me how to make it fun. Interesting,
yes, engaging, yes, relevant, certainly. However, I believe that it is
asking a lot of some dedicated teachers that they should make their
classes "fun". IMHO (well, not so humble really) that's asking a little
too much of everyone, and I don't think we have the right to expect it
of all who teach. I've had some very good teachers who were not exactly
a barrel of laughs. Maybe I'm missing the point and this is just
semantics, what you label as "fun", I'd call "interesting". I just get
really fed up of being told that education has to be "fun". As I asked
before, "What is "Fun" in this context anyway?"
cheers,
David