Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

I teach high school physics. This is the first (and for most students, the
last) physics class they will take. Most students have many misconceptions
about the world, and some of them are weak with math. Most textbooks at
this level are terrible. I don't need/use them.

Teachers (not a book) can really make or break a class. You can
supplement any physics course with whatever math problems you choose. Most
books have just way too much in them -- enough to turn off most students
(at least at the introductory level). We should be turning kids on to THE
most exciting science class they will ever take! I do my best to make this
happen...

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
I agree that teaching methods are important. There are good books out
there.
Hewitt is a good conceptual book.
Knight is a great book (both alg & calc).
Tipler is really good (calc only).
I like Hecht for the bits of history.

Each book has its strengths. To borrow the movie analogy, I am not going
to go to the movie Lincoln and complain that there werent enough laughs.
One book wont hit everybodies favorite points.

.:. Sent from a touchscreen .:.
Paul Lulai