Re: [Phys-L] science versum math WAS: Buoyancy Questions

Here is something that may apply to both physics and maths - have any of you read 'The Myth of Ability' by John Mighton - a professor at the Fields Institute for Mathematics in Toronto?

John Caranci
OISE Physics Teaching Instructor

On 2013-07-08, at 1:05 AM, Bernard Cleyet <bernard@cleyet.org> wrote:

On 2013, Jul 07, , at 07:11, Chuck Britton <cvbritton@mac.com> wrote:

I have had the pleasure of meeting a few beasts known as Applied Mathematicians.
This is a rare breed and often looked down upon by 'Pure' Mathematicians.

That's curious! At Manchester (Eng.) I was told by one who earned his doctorate there, that classical mechanics was not taught in the Physics Dept., because it's applied maths.

bc