Re: [Phys-L] Economist Hirschman's Argument Against Private Schools and Vouchers

On Jun 30, 2013, at 11:52 AM, <marx@phy.ilstu.edu> <marx@phy.ilstu.edu> wrote:

Milton Friedman was correct. Richard, you apparently haven't dealt with any school
district lately. They do not listen to any comments, concerns, complaints, requests
of parents. They are totally controlled by the federal government now. It has
completely removed any ability of local voices to be heard on any issue.

I'm not sure what district you are in, but the school board where I live does listen to comments, concerns, complaints, and requests. How do I know this? A decade ago I thought the school board needed a teacher on the board and a scientist on the board, so I ran and was elected. For 10 years I've happily listened to comments, concerns, complaints, and requests. We try to address them.

For others of you who think local school boards do not do what you want them to, I suggest you consider running for the board; maybe you'll make a difference.

I do, however, agree that local control needs to be assiduously defended in the face of increasing federal encroachment in education.

Larry