Re: [Phys-L] playing for keeps

On 06/29/2013 02:17 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:

An example of confusion is the frequently seen A = 2pi*R^2.

This provides a delightful illustration of a couple of points
I've been trying to make.
-- Check your work.
-- Look for connections between things.

1a) Write down the formula for the circumference of a circle.
My guess is C = 2 π r

1b) Write down the formula for the area of a circle.
My guess is A = π r^2

1c) Check the work!
Look for connections!
The area of an annulus had better be 2 π r dr, and
if you integrate that you get π r^2.
Conversely if you differentiate the area you'd better
get dA = 2 π r dr

Similarly ....

2a) Write down the formula for the area of a sphere.
My guess is A = 4 π r^2.
In other words, there are 4 π steradians total.

2b) Write down the formula for the volume of a sphere.
My guess is V = 4/3 π r^3

2c) Check the work!
Look for connections!
There's a connection between the area and the volume,
and you can use that to check the work.

==========

There are two choices: Use it or lose it.

A) If you check things like this every time,
a) you are more likely to get the right answer to today's problem.
b) in the long run, it reinforces the knowledge of the geometrical
formulas, and
c) it also reinforces the rules for integrating and differentiating.

B) If you don't form the habit of checking things, you might get
the wrong answer to today's problem, and in the longer run
everything evaporates ... circumference, area, volume, integral
and derivative ... everything.

This started out as a discussion of "indicators of quality
teaching". As I see it, a good education is mostly about
forming good habits, such as the habit of checking the work,
and the habit of looking for connections. This is important
in the short run, in the long run, and in every other way.

The FCI was designed with certain goals in mind. Its goals
are not the same as my goals. It does not try to measure
the things I care about.