Re: [Phys-L] computer programming for kids

Apple is supplying iPads to every student in the Los Angeles public schools next year. In the Philadelphia area several of the private schools gave iPads to their students. In Maine all students were given laptops many years ago. I'm not sure if that project is ongoing at present.
Regarding tech skills needed by elementary and secondary students... whatever is taught must be taught equally among inner city and suburban districts. Equipment and materials must be distributed equally or grants must be alloted equally and oversight must be strictly enforced so waste and theft is kept to a minimum. I think it is in the best interest of companies like Comcast or Verizon to make sure all schools are wired or equipped with WiFi routers so the iPads or laptops are used efficiently. The days of the blackboard or even the whiteboards are numbered. But the only way society will not split further into haves and have-nots is to enable all students equal opportunity.