Re: [Phys-L] computer programming for kids

Yes, but probably not until middle-school or even the start of High School. My reason for the late start is that one of the benefits of learning a computer language is learning the importance of vocabulary and especially grammar and syntax. For that to make any sense, students need considerable experience with their regular language skills.

My choice of language would be True Basic which is Kurtz and Kemeny's powerful, fully structured, compiled version of Basic (nothing like the Apple and Commodore interpreted versions). The small company really has structured their product as a learning language (but I do all my software offerings with it--full animations and the like). The advantage of this language for learning the fundamentals of computer programming include the understandable vocabulary, only two variable types (numeric and string), and the fact that it encourages strong structure. Having worked in Fortran, Pascal, C and C++ I can attest that True Basic is far, far easier yet essentially just as powerful.

rwt

--
Richard Tarara
Professor of Physics