From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of
Philip Keller
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 10:11 AM
To: 'Phys-L@Phys-L.org'
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Indicators of quality teaching
(Was:MOOC:EdxOffers Mechanics course by Prof.Walter Lewin)

This is not the SAT, where the higher number is all you want.

No! A high SAT number is not all you want!

Depends on who the "you" refers to :)

Though there are plenty of faults to find with the SAT, it
often presents problems that require more thinking and
playing than students are used to doing. To me, this is an
indictment of whatever form of math education they have
experienced to that point. So it may be the case that the
effort to obtain SAT gain does have some side benefits. But
that's not why they are in the room. They came for "gain",
which if it does nothing else, will help them gain admission
and increased financial aid.

But nobody in my classroom is there to raise their FCI. Is
there a way to use it and not make a fetish of it? And I
also look at the gains of .5 and think that's really low.
But I may sing a different tune in a year.

As for #17/18, the elevator: it looks like 1st law to me, not 3rd.