Re: [Phys-L] MOOC: Edx Offers Mechanics course by Prof.Walter Lewin

On 2013, Jun 20, , at 10:13, Andre Adler <andre.adler@gmail.com> wrote:

But Universities are businesses (at least in the US)…

That, of course IMAO, is the US's prob. anytime it's business it becomes not for the people, but from the people. The pendulum may be swinging tho w/ the B corps. creation:

B corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_corporation

bc

Some of the Physics Department faculty at NYU visit local schools to give talks. Cost to the local area school? - Nothing; its free.

We also have students visit NYU Physics and Chemistry Departments labs - Cost to the local area school? - Nothing; its free (though they rent school buses, so I guess they pay for that.)

I think other Universities engage in similar outreach activities at no/minimal cost to the schools.

It isn't Neil deGrasse Tyson (though I have colleagues who are friends with him) but its something.

But Universities are businesses (at least in the US)…