Re: [Phys-L] science +- politics +- religious denominations (plural)

I don't comment much on this list serve, but I do a lot of reading it.
Very well said on the current issue.
I happen to agree with you.

Richard Lindgren
Research Professor of Physics
Department of Physics
University of Virginia
382 McCormick Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22904
ral5q@virginia.edu

On Jun 8, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Richard Tarara <rtarara@saintmarys.edu> wrote:

Back to the Gallop poll that has been a major focus over the past week.

I've discussed this with a number of people, including one who is very savvy in the media (owned our city newspaper, is CEO of a consortium of radio stations, and teaches at the Cronkite School of Journalism as ASU) and no one gives any credence to the figures. Maybe Texas is like this, but here in Indiana I don't know a soul (liberal, conservative, Republican, Democrat, or Independent who could be included in the 58, 41, 39% stated in the survey--(sure there are some, put my personal 'statistics' don't support the numbers).

All of which brings to my mind the question of how one does a really random survey today? Most people with half a brain are on NO-CALL lists and refuse any phone surveys that 'illegally' make it through. We see every political season (is there an 0ff-season?) that polls are not necessarily that accurate. EXACTLY how questions are framed can clearly sway responses. I've started and then discontinued a number of surveys (often ones requested by my school) when the sequence and/or tone of the questions were clearly trying to get a certain response (or to prove some psycho-babble point or other).

To really believe the poll in question, we have to conclude we are a nation of illiterate idiots--and I guess I'm not quite ready to buy into that. (We are not the sharpest tacks in the world, but.....)

A last thought here---religious belief, while not necessarily aligned with scientific illiteracy, sets us up to disbelieve what we want. If belief in 'fairy tales' is OK, to be respected (at least tolerated), then disbelief in almost anything else is easy to fall into. As scientists we all decry the fact that so many dismiss the science, but we 'go along' with or even share in the religious beliefs. Not sure we can really have it both ways!

rwt

--
Richard Tarara
Professor of Physics