Re: [Phys-L] Would a Carbon Tax Save Life on Planet Earth?

Pardon my acronyms but WTF does this have to do with physics education and learning?

On Jun 4, 2013, at 2:07 PM, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 6/3/2013 7:14 PM, marx@phy.ilstu.edu wrote:
Now, we finally get to the real purpose of carbon caps and taxes... it's
all about wealth redistribution, whether it be to third world nations or
for so-called "social justice."

Of course, these fees would be passed on to customers at the gas pumps and
their other energy purchases. This makes everything more expensive for
everyone - rich or poor - and further damages the economy. A poor economy
hurts the poor and middle class the most - regardless of the wealth
redistribution.

Profit margins for oil companies are between 3 and 9 %, which is perfectly
acceptable. Profit margins for software and pharmaceutical companies are
typically the highest among all industries.

Interesting! I think of carbon tax as a way of avoiding or at least minimizing the "Tragedy of the Commons"

Would that kind of avoidance count as "social justice"? Not sure. Does limiting a fishery count as social justice? Perhaps....for the fish possibly. The Atlantic cod; the whale (but that's no fish!)

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK