[Phys-L] Would a Carbon Tax Save Life on Planet Earth?

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "Would a Carbon Tax Save Life on Planet Earth?" [Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

**************************************
ABSTRACT: James Hansen, former head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, in "The Courage to Fight Climate Change" at <http://bit.ly/12djtSf> wrote: "We must have a simple, honest, across-the-board carbon fee collected from the fossil fuel companies at the small number of domestic mines and ports of entry. All of that money should be distributed to the public-100 percent of it-with equal amounts going to all legal residents."

A Google <http://www.google.com/> search for "Carbon Tax" turned up 4,210,000 hits at <http://bit.ly/153PQQV> on 03 June 10:30-0700, including the Wikipedi entries on "Carbon Tax" at <http://bit.ly/118dUBp> and on "Emissions Control" at <http://bit.ly/15tshjV>. In my opinion: (a) The *more* important hits are listed in the over twenty references in the REFERENCE list in the complete post at <http://yhoo.it/16ECfUn>, and (b) the *most* important hits are these six:

(1) "The Courage to Fight Climate Change" [Hansen & Romm (2013)] at <http://bit.ly/12djtSf>,

(2) "The People vs. Cap-and-Trade" [Hansen (2010b)] at <http://bit.ly/17OhN3w>,

(3) "The American Party" [Hansen (2013)] at <http://huff.to/13gcjcR>,

(4) "Herman Daly on Carbon Fees and Tax Shifting" [Gravitas (2011)] at <http://bit.ly/1aTHNH3>,

(5) "Sanders, Boxer Propose Climate Change Bills" [Sanders (2013a)] at <http://1.usa.gov/12oSeUT>,

(6) "Effects of a Carbon Tax on the Economy and the Environment" [CBO (2013)] at <http://1.usa.gov/13y4MF6>.

**************************************

To access the complete 32 kB post please click on <http://yhoo.it/16ECfUn>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar: <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 03 June 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "Would a Carbon Tax Save Life on Planet Earth?" online on the OPEN! Net-Gold archives at <http://yhoo.it/16ECfUn>. Post of 03 Jun 2013 12:34:27-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being distributed to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/15zIncu>.