Re: [Phys-L] bike wheel handles

On 05/24/2013 12:33 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I have a few bike wheels and wanted to attach handles for some angular
momentum activities.

That's a good thing to do.

I think all bike wheel axles have a standard diameter (1/4"?).

Not a chance. I've seen 9 mm, 3/8 in, 10 mm, and 14 mm. I don't
recall seeing 1/4 in, but if that's what you've got, that's yet
another possibility.

Also the thread pitch is not uniquely determined by the diameter,
so that's another thing to worry about.

I don't want
the complete wheel/handle assembly -- just the handles (preferable metal).

If you saved the original nuts, including the outer nuts, you may
be able to use *socket* type axle pegs, if the hole is close to the
right size. For more explanation, see
http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/en-uk/d41_axle-peg.html

Note that axle pegs are characteristic of BMX bikes, which normally
have 20 inch wheels ... but for typical angular momentum demos you'd
rather have something larger. I recommend 700 mm road-bike tires.

=============

If the wheels have quick-release "skewer" type axles, they never had
outer nuts, so you can't use socket-type axle pegs, unless you can
obtain suitable nuts somehow ... and even then, overall axle length
might be an issue ... so I recommend sticking to solid axles.

This time of year you can buy an entire bike (including wheels) at a
garage sale for cheaper than you can buy a wheel at the bike store.

You might consider installing a huge "fender washer" to make sure
nobody's hand slides too far along the handle and gets caught in
the spokes. Find a suitable disk (e.g. jar lid) and drill a hole
in it.