Re: [Phys-L] spinning skater

On May 12, 2013, at 2:51 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

I do a similar analysis with my meteorology students (I have them imagine running - I like the jumping better). It is a great example of both the Coriolis effect and the fact that friction can do positive work (i.e., not just lead to losses of energy). Most students don't realize that they can't just take one big leap Northward and land at the center.

But you can, at least in principle. You just have to push off right!

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona