Re: [Phys-L] kinematics objectives

On 2013, May 08, , at 17:02, "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

The problem is not algorithms vs concepts, but algorithms in place of
concepts. That is the problem that Benezet noted. Students didn't think,
they just calculated and gave nonsensical answers. Physicists pick the line
of attack by looking at the concept. Students pick the attack by equation
hunting.

The majority of these posts reminds me of my overhearing the advice of one of my fellow students to another in HS. Paraphrased: If you don't know how to answer the question, write down what you think are the appropriate equations; you'll get partial credit.

bc was appalled. (and remains so)