Re: [Phys-L] kinematics objectives

Some of the best examples of problems that require concepts are to be found
in Minds on Physics. But the best of these require students to work
together, so they are not very suitable for individual evaluations.

But the problem with emphasizing problem solving is that it perpetuates the
idea that you just learn algorithms. The antidote to that is to emphasize
concepts and more difficult problems that need to be solved in groups. It
may also be helpful to have the students do activities where they must first
plan out a solution and specify the concepts or models they are using.

The validity of that statement comes from using conceptual evaluations and
finding that students have trouble with them while they still can solve the
"standard" problems.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

|As to problem solving we know quite well that students can be pretty
|good problem solvers while at the same time they lack the concepts.
|The really superb problem solvers have to use the concepts.

I've always wondered about the above statement (in its
various guises). I suspect the validity of it hinges
critically upon the "problems". Are you asking problems that
allow for rote-algorithmic responses for success? If so,
then I believe it. (These would be the traditional plug and
chug variety; often substitute into a single appropriately
chosen equation; then I believe it.

OTOH, if the problems require understanding the concepts to
answer, than I don't believe it; and one can write this style
of problem. For example, a problem requiring a derivation
(not memorized from the text) (but eminently doable, if one
understands the concepts and has a reasonable subset or the
prerequisite math skills.). Often a 2-3 step (concept)
equation hunting problem can serve the purpose as well or
even derivations from the text; then I'm not sure my
experience matches up with the above statement.

|So problem solving is not a
|good test. If you want to combine the two use the MBT. Actually
|students want to memorize procedures for problem solving and that is
|what happens in the conventional classes.

Joel R.