Re: [Phys-L] kinematics objectives

On 05/08/2013 10:14 AM, Philip Keller wrote:
The State of NJ has adopted a new method of teacher evaluation. It
requires that a numerical component of the evaluation be based on
test scores. For teachers in k-8, math and English, that means state
testing. All other teachers have to come up with their own
measurable objectives. The phrase "ambitious but realistic" has
been used. I am considering incorporating the FCI into my personal
objective. (Really just considering...) If I do that, I am going to
have to show student gains. On the other hand, maybe I don't want to
further conflate "successful teaching" and FCI gain.

I understand the issue. You need something, but the FCI is
perfectly terrible for this purpose. Even the FCI authors do
not recommend using it in this way.

A key issue is that living in the real world involves solving
problems with some degree of /complexity/, involving multi-
step chains of reasoning, combining multiple concepts. In
contrast, the FCI (by design) tests concepts one by one. This
makes the test relatively easy to construct and makes the
results relatively easy to interpret ... at the cost of throwing
out the baby and keeping the bathwater.

Be careful what you test for; you might get it.

So the trick is to come up with something more suitable.

Here is a partially-baked suggestion: Make your own test, perhaps
based on end-of-chapter problems from the text. Choose ones that
actually require some reasoning. Choose ones that deal with
interesting, worthwhile topics.

Note that students are quick to realize that isolated concepts
are essentially worthless, so they not motivated to learn.
In contrast, skills that lead to solving interesting problems
are seen as worth learning.

Showing gain on an interesting test is the easiest thing in the
world. Most of the incoming students will get a zero, so things
can only go up from there. (Of course in Holmdel there will be
a few wise-guys who show up on the first day having already read
the entire text and perhaps most of Feynman volume I, so you need
to account for that somehow....)