[Phys-L] How To Write Good

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "How To Write Good" [Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Physoc's Art Hobson, in a post "Once more time: Writing tips" alerted readers to (a) the abstract and the slides <http://bit.ly/16T0UmN> he had shown for a 2009 APS talk "Writing about, and teaching, physics for non-scientists"; and (b) two recommendations -
(1) "The Craft of Scientific Writing" [Alley (1996)] at <http://amzn.to/YBnwWu>, and
(2) "The Elements of Style" [Strunk & White (2000)] at <http://amzn.to/109Cb9E>.

To Hobson's recommendations I would add:
(3) the "AIP Style Manual" [AIP (1997)] at <http://bit.ly/d8hJgp>;

(4) "Intellectual Journey: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom - Conversations with John Kenneth Galbraith - The Art of Good Writing" [Kreisler (1986)] at <http://bit.ly/ZMesNj>;

(5) "The Technique of Clear Writing" [Gunning (1968)] at <http://amzn.to/11QtG1t>.

(6) "Draft No. 4: Replacing the words in boxes" [McPhee (2013)] at <http://nyr.kr/12cz2Vu>.

Q. So "HOW'm I DOin' " after having been exposed to the above 6 guides to writing good?

A. NOT BAD! The first 489 words of this post have a Gunning Fog Index of 8.8, cf. 11.9 for the first 530 words of Hemingway's masterpiece "The Sun Also Rises" ! ; - )

To access the complete 14 kB post please click on <http://yhoo.it/15ouwJm>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar: <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

"We are all apprentices of a craft where no one ever becomes a master."
- Ernest Hemingway (1961)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 08 May 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "How To Write Good," online on the OPEN! Net-Gold archives at <http://yhoo.it/15ouwJm>. Post of 7 May 2013 20:00:15 -0700. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/10GtzDr> with a provision for comments.

Hemingway, E. 1961. New York Journal-American, 11 July.