Re: [Phys-L] the Bohr atom, or not

Hi,

I could share some experiences on the IB physics syllabus (a pretty rigorous HS course). In the previous incarnation of the syllabus the Bohr’s model was studied
and the main results were derived using conservation of energy etc. This is not the case anymore (http://www.haef.gr/gr/pcl/ib/physics.pdf), Bohr is not even mentioned anymore.
The only thing similar to the Bohr’s model is energy states and transitions between them. Then the particle in a box model is discussed which allows a derivation of quantized energy
levels. Finally, some qualitative aspects of “the Schrödinger model” aka quantum mechanics are laid out.

I have an impression that this approach is working well and that students do not lose anything important when the Bohr’s model is omitted. Furthermore,
the idea of modeling is very much present; the syllabus appears to encourage this line of thinking. At any rate, I emphasize it in my teaching.

So…I tend to agree with John D. although I can see some merit in the approach advocated by Bruce.

Regards,

Antti Savinainen, PhD
Finland

Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.