[Phys-L] Symbiosis: A Standardista Endorses a Direct Instructionist

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "Symbiosis: A Standardista Endorses a Direct Instructionist" [Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In "Re: Casualty of the Math Wars" [Hake (2012a)] at <http://bit.ly/R1q22j> I criticized Bishop et al.'s "A Close Examination of Jo Boaler's Railside Report" <http://tinyurl.com/czsa4c>. Then in "R.L. Moore - Pioneer of Math Education Reform" [Hake (2013c)] at <http://yhoo.it/132baYU>, I criticized Bishop's (2013b) "Re: Direct Instruction rocks: Or does it?" <http://bit.ly/11f8CTH> (click on the html attachment).

My criticism of Bishop's proclamations led "standardista" (in the educational sense employed by Susan Ohanian <http://bit.ly/Xe7P56)>) Richard P. Phelps (2013) <http://bit.ly/15kFCOc> to endorse direct instructionist Wayne Bishop by portraying my criticism as simply "personal animosity" in a post of that title at <http://bit.ly/15iMz2m>. In this post I show that Phelps makes serious errors in each of his nine objections to my criticism.

To access the complete 43 kB post please click on <http://yhoo.it/15D10Ph>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

"It is not enough to observe, experiment, theorize, calculate and communicate; we must also argue, criticize, debate, expound, summarize, and otherwise transform the information that we have obtained individually into reliable, well established, public knowledge."
- John Ziman. 1969. "Information, Communication, Knowledge," Nature 224:
318-324; abstract online at <http://bit.ly/cNPB1d>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 23 April 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "Symbiosis: A Standardista Endorses a Direct Instructionist" online on the OPEN Net-Gold archives at <http://yhoo.it/15D10Ph>. Post of 22 Apr 2013 18:43:32-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/YKMNIz> with a provision for comments.