Re: [Phys-L] electron location & wave function

On Apr 16, 2013, at 5:41 PM, John Denker wrote:

On 04/16/2013 02:29 PM, Larry Smith wrote:

1. John, are you saying that a quantum of a field is the same thing
as a wave?

I don't know what that means. People use terms like "quantum of
the field" in at at least two inconsistent ways, probably more.

In the articles referred to earlier, Hobson doesn't claim that everything is a wave, he claims that everything is fields--that an electron is a quantum of an electron field, just as a photon is a quantum of the EM field. Now, I may not know exactly what he means either, but I'm trying to figure out if you and he are saying the same thing. I'm not sure if "there are no particles, only fields" [Hobson] means what you're saying about waves.

I'd also be interested in your elaboration on the inconsistent ways "quantum of a field" is used.

Larry