Re: [Phys-L] electron location & wave function

On Apr 11, 2013, at 4:12 PM, John Denker wrote:

On 04/11/2013 02:39 PM, Bruce Sherwood called attention to

Art Hobson
"There are no particles, there are only fields"
http://physics.uark.edu/Hobson/pubs/05.03.AJP.pdf
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.4616
http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/henry.hobson.pdf

The basic
idea he reviews is that everything is fields; "there are no particles" (to
put it provocatively).

An excellent point. To me this is completely un-provocative. I've been
explaining it that way for years. I gave up on "wave/particle duality"
back when I was just a sorcerer's apprentice.

Wave mechanics says one and one makes 0, sometimes. Wave mechanics says
one and one makes 4, sometimes. Wave mechanics says one and one makes
2 /on average/. We can see how the classical result emerges from the
quantum-mechanical result, in the appropriate limit.

1. John, are you saying that a quantum of a field is the same thing as a wave?

2. The November 2012 issue of AJP has an article by Klein that asserts that the limit of QM as h approaches 0 is not classical Newtonian mechanics.

Larry